|Depends on GNOME 3.x|
|Submitted: Jun 4 2012|
Updated: Feb 3 2013
Elegance Colors is a chameleon theme for Gnome Shell. It can change colors according to the current GTK theme, current wallpaper (uses imagemagick to get color) or a user defined color. Also various other aspects of the theme are customizable.
Currently Elegance Colors supports only Gnome Shell 3.6.
Ubuntu users can install Elegance Colors from our themes PPA using the following commands,
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:satyajit-happy/themes
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-theme-elegance-colors
Fedora users can add the repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/satya164:/elegance-colors/Fedora_18/home:satya164:elegance-colors.repo and then install Elegance Colors using the following commands,
sudo yum install gnome-shell-theme-elegance-colors
If you use another distro, you need to compile from source. This is needed for the GUI.
Don't worry, it is easy and straight forward.
You need to install the build-dependencies first (package names may vary depending on your distro),
glib2-devel gtk3-devel vala
Extract the archive, navigate to the directory and type the following commands in a terminal,
sudo make install
To derive color from wallpaper, you need to install ImageMagick
Also install the User Theme Extension for Gnome Shell https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/19/user-themes/
After installation, run "elegance-colors" to start the process in background. The background process detects changes and reloads the theme accordingly. It will also make a theme basing upon the template and default configuration.
To set the theme, run the following commands,
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.user-theme name 'elegance-colors'
You can launch the GUI from the menu which lets you customise various aspects of the the theme. You can also export your customized theme, import/export settings from the GMenu. Click on the title in the Gnome Shell top bar to get the GMenu.
If you have installed the user-theme extension from the extensions.gnome.org website, you might need to run the following command before elegance-colors can work,
It is recommended to stop any previous instances of elegance-colors when updating to a new version. You can kill running processes of elegance-colors with the command,
To view any error messages produced, stop the background process first and then run the process in Terminal,
To manually apply changes, run,
To export the theme, run,
elegance-colors export /path/to/themefile.zip
Credits: Thanks to Alin Andrei http://www.webupd8.org and Brian Bentsen http://bimsebasse.deviantart.com/ for their valuable suggestions and testing.
* Fixed various bugs.
* Added 2 new presets.
* New icon for Elegance Colors.
* Added unity like chameleonic features.
* Added overview customization.
* Added tooltips.
* Fix could not export settings if a previous file exists
* Display file name of the preset if no title is provided
* Restart script automatically when change in script is detected
* Tweaked presets
* New toggle switches
* Bug fixes and improvements
* Options to customize Background color, Text color, Border color, Background opacity, Border opacity etc. for Panel, Menu and Dialogs
* Added 5 inbulit presets to choose from
* Better export dialog for exporting the theme
* Ability to import/export settings (via the Gmenu on the top GNOME Shell panel)
* Support deriving color from more GTK themes
* Toggling "Monitor changes" now starts or stops the background process accordingly
* New styles for Buttons and Entries.
* Option to customize Font family.
* Option to customize the Gradient for the Dash in overview.
* Option to customize Roundness of the theme.
* Fixed couldn't detect color for GTK theme.
* Enhanced gradient making.
* Many improvements and fixes.
* Fixed where locale uses "," for decimal.
* Many enhancements to the script.
* Changes are now instantly applied.
* Options to set gradient size, transition duration and box shadow.
* Ability to export the customized theme.
* Enhancements to the script.
* Minor fixes.
* Fix no border in notifications.
* New background texture for message tray and lock screen.
* Minor fixes and enhancements.
* Port to Gnome 3.6.