KDE-Apps.org Applications for the KDE-Desktop
 ScribusStuff.org Files for Scribus
 BlenderStuff.org Textures and Objects for Blender
 VLC-Addons.org Themes and Extensions for VLC
 KDE-Help.org Support for your KDE Desktop
 GNOME-Help.org Support for your GNOME Desktop
 Xfce-Help.org Support for your Xfce Desktop
openDesktop.orgopenDesktop.org:   Applications   Artwork   Linux Distributions   Documents    LinuxDaily.com    Linux42.org    OpenSkillz.com

Artwork
News
Groups
Knowledge
Events
Forum
People
Jobs

- global .- user support .- artwork .- developer .
goto page: prev   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 ...

Why so much Ubuntu?

0 Friends
3 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

This is supposed to be Gnome-Look, not Ubuntu-Look. I'm sick of seeing everything having only the Ubuntu brand on this site. Can't anyone please provide more generic brandings?

Re: Why so much Ubun

by sjc001 on: Jan 4 2008

Score 50%

Not too likely since Ubuntu is one the most popular distros out there.

Re: Re: Why so much

by code933k on: Jan 5 2008

Score 50%

I get your point but "popular" isn't equal to "best". If people focuses on "productivity" and "improvement " there should be a Gnome centered site and not this extended waste of resources.

Ubuntu people have the right to praise the distro who liberated them from the Windows realm but since then some of them came here making allegations which aren't right. Ubuntu is far to be the best distro (technically speaking).

So far so good... That's not the only problem. The problem is an Internet full of bad Ubuntu-tutorials and an Ubuntu-howto for changing wallpapers as if that silly name was the thing behind most system and kernel tricks.

Touché!!

Refuse, criticize, create, upload, enjoy.

Re: Re: Re: Why so m

by freakcode on: Jan 7 2008

Don't feed the troll.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why

by sjc001 on: Jan 7 2008

What trolling?

Re: Re: Re: Why so m

by sjc001 on: Jan 7 2008

Score 50%

In this case the most popular IS BECAUSE it is the best as well. I've tried many different distros and by far Ubuntu is the most ready for primetime distro of Linux that I've found out there so far. This is also why Dell and HP have chosen it as well for their systems now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why

by code933k on: Jan 8 2008

Score 50%

With all consideration and no flaming attempts at all I must say you are pretty wrong as you are appealing to the fallacy of non sequitur (your example doesn't follows your statements)

However, chose the site and bring your technical data, I'll carry mine.

Refuse, criticize, create, upload, enjoy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

by sjc001 on: Jan 10 2008

Score 50%

Whatever turns your cranky, sparky.... [rolleyes]

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

by sjc001 on: Jan 10 2008

Score 50%

BTW, is there a Red-Hat-art.org site or any other such site around besides the one for Ubuntu by the same group as does these? [smiles]

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why so m

by kiwiadam2 on: Jan 22 2008

Score 50%

i have to agree to that one

Re: Re: Re: Why so m

by TheRob on: Jan 7 2008

I see your point there man, I'm currently on
ubuntu since I don't have to spend a lot
of time compiling every program not mention
the kernel...

If there is a distro "better" than ubuntu
please let me know since I am stuck on kernel
2.6.20 cause the new 2.6.22 has a bug so
it wont boot without acpi=off parameter
(which is a real showstopper for me since I
am on a laptop)

What distro is the best in your opinion?

//Robert

\"life sucks, get a f***ing helmet alright!\" -Denis Leary

Re: Re: Re: Why so m

by TheRob on: Jan 7 2008

I see your point there man, I'm currently on
ubuntu since I don't have to spend a lot
of time compiling every program not mention
the kernel...

If there is a distro "better" than ubuntu
please let me know since I am stuck on kernel
2.6.20 cause the new 2.6.22 has a bug so
it wont boot without acpi=off parameter
(which is a real showstopper for me since I
am on a laptop)

What distro is the best in your opinion?

//Robert

\"life sucks, get a f***ing helmet alright!\" -Denis Leary

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why

by marcaemus on: Jan 8 2008

Score 50%

I'm just an old Red Hat boy, been using Fedora for years. Well worth a try.

when all the worlds collide...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why

by code933k on: Jan 8 2008

Score 50%

Gentoo takes a long fresh install time for most people and looks to be a little complicated for some one else but it is one of the best distros, if not the best out there: Pretty mature, faster, more stable, far more customizable from end to end, and so forth. Contrarily to mainstream I found it to have a flawless inner logic to the point I understood the "whole system" in one week!

I am a Philosophy teacher at the University and I can say Gentoo Documentation is the best of the best and its community is pretty much the same (excepting LFS... at some extent, I don't know Slack and I really don't want to).

Believe it or not, updating packages takes less time than most binary based distros "in my own experience, in my fine tuned system". However there is an option for binaries too: yuck! My point is, I can update (compile) while browsing Internet, listening music and seeing a Movie at the same time [...] Compiled packages, for people who is willing to "chose wisely" are another dimension. No bullshit!

I am actually on a notebook too: HP Pavilion dv8305 (Turion64 1.8) behaving like nothing I have seen before... The current kernel is 2.6.23-gentoo-r5 and the only bug I noticed was 'hald' yesterday so I turned it off and that's all!! (I run unstable packages and my system is far better than any "Ubuntu stable" I've used).

I chosen Gentoo because it's one of the most customizable Linuxes in the whole world (Slakware and LFS being the other ones...), because it is stable/bleeding edge and I was barely productive some time ago on Ubuntu. Now, it looks like I have a 14/7 days per week server... No dependency hells as any RPM or DEB based distros. You can install adequately over XFS, JFS filesystem or some experimental ones (ie. Reiser4) (all of them best than the ugly ext3 -let's see what happen with ext4...)

There is a fine dependency control too: ie. who the heck wants gnome + esd if you do use dmix?

I recommend you strongly Gentoo if you are able to handle it adequately. If not there is Arch too which is faster and a little more stable than Ubuntu tough I personally don't like it. It looks like OpenSolaris may be good too. I don't have experimented with.

I hope this helps. Best regards

Refuse, criticize, create, upload, enjoy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why

by code933k on: Jan 8 2008

Score 50%

Forgot to say that on my machine the kernel takes from 7 to 11 minutes compiling. I think that's not so much, also "getdelta" helps downloading just the "diff" part which is needed.

Refuse, criticize, create, upload, enjoy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

by TheRob on: Jan 8 2008

Score 50%

Thanks for the very informative reply!

Actually when I started with linux I choose
between ubuntu and gentoo (a friend of mine
knows pretty much about linux and he said gentoo
is the best)

I have been meaning to try it out but I
always thought it would take me like 7 hours
or so to get it running (most the time
compiling the kernel)

Is it a very huge difference between installing
a live cd and doing a stage2/3 install?

//Robert

2 Friends
1 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

If any one wonders why Ubuntu gets all the press and the other equally good distros remain in the dark, his is it. Ubuntu is not just an OS. It's a program.
The goal is not just to put together a kickass distro. Lots of people do that. The goal is to put together a high quality distro and then bring it to the world! If the world needs a beginners guide, Ubuntu makes a beginners guide that is just as free as the OS. If the world needs a thicker manual, Ubuntu makes a thicker manual and gives it away for free. If the world needs well developed certification courses in Ubuntu, Ubuntu delivers. If the world wants installation media, Ubuntu sends them to you for free. Now what other distro is this thorough? Is it any wonder they have the bigger share of the market?
Hopefully Fedora, Mandriva, Gentoo, PCLinuxOS (I hate that name) will look and learn. If more distromakers did this then we'd have a much easier time reaching out to people.

AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 3.2Ghz
4096MB DDR2 804Mhz
1.5TB
GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB DDR3
Ubuntu Studio 7.10
OpenSUSE 10.3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why

by code933k on: Jan 17 2008

Score 50%

Please don't take this personally, this is just intended as an "useful" "informative" reply:

1-) May be interesting if you check out how much money have spent Ubuntu Corporation in publicity and "corporative" deals. There's no problem as the 'real community' gets little benefits from that too, but this explains in real terms your statement.

2-) You should see how much distributions have the word Corporation in their names.

3-) You would search the meaning of Corporation in a dictionary.

* Finally, I suggest reading the Gentoo and LSF documentation, mail-lists and forums to you.

Then, please, reword your statement as it is far from reasoning.

Refuse, criticize, create, upload, enjoy.

Re: Why so much Ubun

by freakcode on: Jan 7 2008

Score 50%

Did you took the time to realize that the themes are shared amongst gnome-look.org, ubuntu-art.org, and so on, to all the opendesktop.org sites listed on top of this page?

Re: Re: Why so much

by sjc001 on: Jan 7 2008

Score 50%

Thanks for the link to ubuntu-art.org.

Re: Re: Why so much

0 Friends
3 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

I didn't know everything was shared like that.

There should be an option to disable that, then.

Re: Why so much Ubun

by hodenkat on: Jan 26 2008

Score 50%

I agree. I run Ubuntu and I love it, but they really should have a separate area for that stuff. Ironically, I only got here because I was doing searches for Ubuntu wallpapers not for Gnome wallpapers.

I'm still a newbie in the world of Linux distros so I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about them all. I just know what's right for me, and for now that's Ubuntu.

...azzz evr

Re: Why so much Ubun

by greyhat on: Feb 1 2008

Score 50%

totaly agree mate, i personaly use ubuntu, but i dont like the design associated with it.

would be very mutch apreciated if more GNOME themes/Icons, etc. would be made!!!

i personaly dont like ubuntu brownish icon iin my start bar, i allways try to replace it with Gnome icon.

Re: Why so much Ubun

by kingofscusa on: Feb 14 2008

Score 50%

I too am Getting tired of the Ubuntu themed wallpapers, icons, splash screens, ect ect. and I even use Ubuntu.

If you want to use my nudes in you\'re next naked person wallpaper or GDM theme PM me

re:

by Vadi on: Jan 7 2008

Score 50%

I don't think that's true, there is a ton of debian and gnome things.

And, representation in numbers, anyone?

Re: re:

by code933k on: Jan 8 2008

Score 50%

Try a simple search with some distro names.

A script could help realizing that but I really don't have the time.

Regards.

Refuse, criticize, create, upload, enjoy.

currently....

by yehudah on: Jan 22 2008

Score 50%

Ubuntu is the #2 distro on distrowatch. It's popularity is the only reason for this thread. It doesn't have to be the best distro, just the most popular.

I personally run Mint 4.0... I like it better because EVERYTHING worked out of the box. Gotta love that. It's also climbing the charts at #5. Great distro.

I've used Ubuntu, and I was pleased, just not ecstatic. ...it wasn't minty...

i fell both

by bmorris110 on: Jan 30 2008

Score 50%

i really think artist whould offer a bland option then options for each brand. it only takes a second to turn on and off a layer

new at this xubuntu

_GNOME_ Look

by marcaemus on: Feb 4 2008

Score 50%

<dummy spit> I thought this place was for theming GNOME not advertising distros. The 'brand name' artwork is appalling both in terms of ethos and usually in quality, just a step up from the continual need to mimic other OS's. Kudos and praise to those designers who work on _original_ designs. </dummy spit>

when all the worlds collide...

Re: _GNOME_ Look

0 Friends
3 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

I don't have a problem with the "recreating another OS' GUI on Linux" bit, it's fun and can be useful when weaning a user off to Linux. But I do agree about the distro-centricity, namely all the Ubuntu stuff. Very little of it has actual work put into it. Whereas with OS mimic themes, you have to: study the model design, write the GTK theme, create a metacity theme, create pixmaps as needed, test it, tweak it, make sure it's compatible with everything, then finally release it, these Ubuntu themes are a lot of replacing certain icons with the Ubuntu logo, quickly editing the GTK/metacity theme to be more orange or brown, and then maybe passing some icons through GIMP's colorizer tool. And taking all the credit.

-Techokami

Re: _GNOME_ Look

by code933k on: Feb 21 2008

Score 50%

There is a proposal for making in-depth categories:

Please, do the request there. I am sure that if most people agree, there would be a "Linux (original) theme" category and "Your OS Clone" category instead of the whole hell you see ;)

Regards.

Writing for money and preservation of copyright are, at bottom, the ruin of literature.
- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

A better place...

by ProteanX on: Mar 5 2008

Score 50%

I have been starting to use and frequent deviantart website more for gnome themes and such. Its more organized and less garbage.

There are alot of wonderfull and creative people who put alot of work in there themes and need/should be recognized for there true work.

Unfortanetly this site has been going to the dogs. Too much distro specific crap, unrelated wallpapers, etc.

Not trying to sound like a troll but if people less frequent here maybe gnome-look will actually get off there butt and start cleaning this site up to be for actual gnome stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: A better place..

by marcaemus on: Mar 6 2008

Score 50%

art4linux.org started off fairly well but contributions seem to have fallen off lately.

when all the worlds collide...

goto page: prev   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 ...

Add commentAdd commentBack