KDE-Apps.org Applications for the KDE-Desktop
 ScribusStuff.org Files for Scribus
 BlenderStuff.org Textures and Objects for Blender
 VLC-Addons.org Themes and Extensions for VLC
 KDE-Help.org Support for your KDE Desktop
 GNOME-Help.org Support for your GNOME Desktop
 Xfce-Help.org Support for your Xfce Desktop
openDesktop.orgopenDesktop.org:   Applications   Artwork   Linux Distributions   Documents    LinuxDaily.com    Linux42.org    OpenSkillz.com

Artwork
News
Groups
Knowledge
Events
Forum
People
Jobs

- global .- user support .- artwork .- developer .
goto page: prev   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ...

Down with Vista-ish

by freakcode on: Jan 31 2007

Score 50%

Why not using the time making original themes instead of wasting it on zilions of Vista-ish themes?

Please! Everybody is getting sick of it... we need a fresh looking for Linux, not just a copy of Vista/Mac.

Vista/Mac looks cool? Sure. But let's learn with they skillfull designs to make a new one. I've seen the efforts of projects to create a unique and integrated looking for Linux desktops (e.g., Tango). But IMHO, they look totally square and childish, on an era of desktop eye-candy and "sleekness".

I hope the day when Windows/Mac users start porting themes from Linux. This is a good indicator that our themes are rocking.

Thanks ppl.

(PS: I don't want to sound like Im bothering)

Re: Down with Vista-

by Goamaus on: Feb 5 2007

Score 50%

Some Linux looks have already been ported to Windows... Clearlooks and Ubuntulooks have been available for WindowsBlinds and I even found Tango Icon Theme in IconPackager Format... found this last summer, when I needed "that other OS" on my notebook for some weeks :D

Re: Down with Vista-

by Goamaus on: Feb 5 2007

The prove ;)

Themes

by quirt33 on: Feb 5 2007

Score 50%

What I want to see is more really eadical, all out, texturesed out, macish themes...I like them.

Re: Down with Vista-

0 Friends
3 Groups

More info
Send a message
Add as friend
Other contents

You may not like the themes, but that does not mean you can pressure users into giving up their freedom to make Linux look however they want. Remember that: Linux is about freedom. You can't take it away.

Re: Re: Down with Vi

by freakcode on: Jul 22 2007

Score 50%

"Do not forget the whole point of Linux: freedom. This includes the freedom to make Linux look like Windows/MacOS/BeOS/NeXT/GEM/OS2 Warp/PalmOS/Xerox/etc etc etc"

Yeah, right. Make it looking like [PUT_OS_HERE] using ripped off copyrighted artwork.

You just showed that you know nothing about of the freedom concept of FOSS. Go read.

by freakcode on: Mar 18 2007

Score 50%

"... but that does not mean you can pressure users into giving up their freedom to make Linux look however they want."

I'm not telling that. I dont have powers to give orders and set what people can and cannot do.

What I'm telling is that: THERE ARE ZILLIONS OF MAC/VISTA THEMES WITH NO CREATIVITY. Why not taking the time to create a unique look'n fell?

This doesn't mean I dislike porting themes too. I love some Mac themes ports, but there aren't a ZILLION of those, a ZILLION people ripping it off. No, its just one or maybe two ports from the same theme.

Remeber all those themes are rip-off, copyright infrigenment themes, always getting high scores. And people trying to create a unique theme gets suffocated by this pile of ****.

If this keeps on, it's sure that *true* themers are will be moving to *truly* customization sites.

Amen !!

by integer on: Mar 28 2007

Score 50%

GNU definition of freedom is: freedom to modify, copy and distribute already GNU/GPLd works.

GPLd in the sense of: People doing shared and judicious work by their own. Not copying all the teletubie stuff of some one else.

One theme doesn't hurts, but all the people following the mainstream doesn't make any sense.

The modern definition of freedom was also thought by E. Kant upon the base of reasoning and making universalized judgments properly, which is named "Autonomy".

So FREEDOM meant "think for yourself"!

People is dying virgin. Please, fuck with the books.

Re: .

by Jip on: May 15 2007

Score 50%

I do share your feeling, freakcode, I always find the vista/mac ports not as good as the originals. I don't know why people spend their time on doing these bad clones (including me!).
The problem must be that it is difficult to create a nice and original theme ?
Apart from Clearlooks, I don't see many nice themes around, I don't like murrine at all while people tends to like it given the number of themes based on this engine. That's why I create my own themes, this way I get almost what I want. When I don't like them anymore, I try to do something better or different.
I wish there would be more professional designers working the themeing to improve the linux look or even better, to create a linux look !

fingerprint

by carlyno on: Apr 17 2007

Score 50%

Hello, I'm trying to get the fingerprint usplash theme working. I followed this [url=https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=40914&group_id=187765]how-to[/url]
I now get some kind of splash, with the proper resolution, but the pictures are missing. Actually I did download [CURRENT] 0.1 Stable version of this usplash, at gnome-look.org: a directory with the missing pictures!! the question is where am I suppose to store this directory, so the pictures are loaded with usplash ?

fingerprint

by carlyno on: Apr 17 2007

Re: fingerprint

by Embrace on: Jul 1 2007

Score 50%

Try the new alpha...your problem is probably caused by the non-quiet mode you set-up on your grub config.

_________________________
Born to be root

Identify Icon Theme

by whonicca on: Apr 21 2007

Score 50%

can someone please help me identify this icon theme. I had it installed b4 i upgraded my system and now I cant find it again. Thanks in advance.

Re: Identify Icon Th

by kpolice on: Apr 24 2007

crystal clear

Re: Re: Identify Ico

by whonicca on: Apr 24 2007

Score 50%

Is there a crystal clear theme set that has silver/grey folders, the theme im looking for had silver or grey folders.

All of the crystal clear themes I have ran into have the shiny blue folder icons.

Thanks for your reply.